Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Priorities

Overwhelmed with all that I have been reading, grocery shopping became an overwhelming endeavor. Do I buy lentils in a can which probably has BPA's or in an environmentally taxing, probably not recyclable bag? Do I splurge for organic onions when I'm going to remove the peel anyway or purchase the less expensive option? Shopping was getting harder and harder and taking longer and longer. I had to get a grip.

So I thought in terms of a new car. Environmentally friendly is very important to me, but I'm not going to pay over $20,000 to do it. If I applied that same sort of prioritization to shopping, more specifically to food, would it help me make my daily choices?

Yes! After careful consideration, here are my current priorities when it comes to consuming.
  1. Health-mine and my families
  2. Humane and ethical treatment of people and animals
  3. Environment
  4. Cost
So I would buy the bag of lentils to avoid the cancer causing BPA's even if I had to throw away the bag they came in, but I would buy the pricier organic onions because the way they were grown is better for the environment.

It sounds simplistic, but it has dramatically helped me incorporate the numerous low impact considerations into my life. Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed by my choices, I take a deep breath, remember my priorities and comfortably make my purchase. Of course, sometimes that also means NOT making the purchase , but at least I know I did the right thing for me and my values whenever I walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment